Saturday, August 13, 2011

big bad voodoo daddy

You know, I tend to stay away from posts concerning music, if only because I deride other posts that concern music so much. I do it a lot, really, and so I just figure 'why bother doing it myself?' I mean, I HAVE made posts concerning music in the past, but it's only been once or twice. Recently, though, I was just trawling through a bunch of other music stuff, and I found a band that I have absolutely fallen in love with. They've easily jumped straight to near the top of bands that I enjoy listening to: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. For a little background, though, I heard about them in a weird way; Commuter Orientation for Victoria College was this past weekend, and one of the people who set up tech had played a certain song on his computer speakers: 'Hey Pachuco' from The Mask soundtrack (played by the Royal Crown Revue). You know, that wacky Jim Carrey movie from the 90s. It's one of my childhood movies, and it's silly, but I love this song.



There it is, in all it's glory. Anyway, that is an example of swing music. I've long been a fan of instrumental music, but man, swing is really fun. I would love to learn how to dance to this kind of music; it just looks like everyone, including the musicians, are having a blast. In the comments section, I was directed to 'King of Swing' by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. I checked them out, and I honestly was taken completely from the first moment I listened. I can't really explain why I enjoy this so much, as there is minimal lyrics, and a LOT of instrumental music. It's mostly piano, trumpet, percussion, saxophones (alto, tenor, baritone), guitar and a singer. I think this specific band has about 6-7 members, and they all sound amazing.



That's the King of Swing, probably my favourite one of the ones I've listened to. They have a bunch of other ones as well:



Mr. Pinstripe Suit, another super good one. Mambo music is another genre I'm a fan of, not a HUGE fan, but still, it's fun to listen to. BBVD did a sort of mix of swing and mambo...called, creatively, 'Mambo Swing' =P



I forget if I've ever mentioned this, but, Disney music is one of my favourite things ever. Just, in general. It's amazing, the musicians who write it are really talented and creative, probably more so than any modern artist, and more often than not, the music for any Disney movie can make or break it. I mean, everyone knows the songs from Aladdin, or from Beauty and the Beast, or The Lion King, or any of a dozen others. 'Be Our Guest' even won an Oscar, THAT's how much people liked/appreciated it. The reason I bring this up is because BBVD did a cover of a Disney song: 'I Wanna Be Like You'...it is fantastic.



What I find really awesome is that all of these arrangements can actually be found online, if you're so inclined. If there was anything that made me want to get back into playing my instrument a little more, it was definitely this. Their website can be found here: http://www.bbvd.com and I definitely encourage people to just look at it and listen to a few of their songs. I am often accused of not liking any modern artists, and it's true, I enjoy the older bands more than the newer ones, but man, these guys are amazing. They're playing in Toronto, on April 18th 2012, in Markham. Honestly, come what may, I am going to that show no matter what. Perhaps by that faraway date, some of you will be convinced to go with me =P

No comments:

Post a Comment