Sunday, July 14, 2013

summer 2013 movies update pt 2

So, since my last post, I've knocked two movies off my list: 'This Is The End' and 'Pacific Rim'. The two movies were so wildly different, and they were just so much fun, in their own ways.

This Is The End

This movie was hilarious. I can instantly see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but after an amusing intro where Jay Baruchel and Seth Rogen talk about gluten and what it is, the movie is quickly set up, and also quickly devolves into something crazy. The Apocalypse (with a capital A) of Biblical proportions strikes the Earth, and the protagonists quickly engage in the hilarity. It's not as inane as one might think, with all these guys who clearly know each other in real life, as it's pretty funny and clever at points. The dialogue is great, and the actors are well chosen. It has a fairly predictable ending, but, what are you gonna do, it's still funny, and I personally thought the last few minutes of the movie were AWESOME. If a 6 is a solidly average score, then a 7.5, to me, is above average. Not fantastic, but this movie was funny enough to keep me entertaining for an hour and forty five minutes, or thereabouts.

7.5/10

Pacific Rim

This is the movie I had been anticipating for quite some time. I went with my friend Matteo, and the two of us saw it in glorious IMAX 3D. Let me tell you, it was worth every penny. The plot was thin, yes. The acting wasn't particularly amazing, no. But, honestly? WHO CARES. I got to see building-sized creatures pick up building-sized robots and toss them around Hong Kong, through the upper atmosphere, in Alaska, and underwater. There were some absolutely amazing fights, and unlike the mess that is Transformers, I could actually tell what was going on during the fight scenes. Like I mentioned, the acting wasn't particularly noteworthy, no. Idris Elba was pretty awesome, though, and Burn Gorman along with Charlie Day were hilarious as the two scientists. Everyone else was kind of 'meh', though really, it doesn't matter. You don't go to see humans talk to each other. You go to see giant robots beat up giant monsters, and on that front, it delivered and then some. The IMAX 3D really is the only way to go; this is one of the few movies that I've wanted to see solely in 3D, and definitely was made for the format. Not all movies are, of course, and few actually justify using it, but this is a rare exception. I had a blast watching this movie, and I can definitely see myself going back again to watch it in theatres. This was easily the most entertaining movie of the summer thus far for me, and the score has to reflect that, on my end.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment