Monday, April 25, 2011

the power of love.

Man, music nowadays...it sucks. What's with that, anyway? I mean, don't get me wrong, I like some of the new things as much as the next person...it's interesting hearing a new rap single, or something like that, but all I seem to be hearing (especially from my friends) is weird indie music or....well, actually, that's it. I mean, here's an example of something that has a nice sound in terms of the guy's voice/actual instrumental music: Loving You Tonight by Andrew Allen It has a nice, calm, pleasant sound. I'm not CRAZY about it, but...it's pretty good. Jack Johnson is also pretty interesting, in terms of his music. There's that song, Upside Down, which seems to have some sort of weird link to Curious George...but, ah well. It's still pretty nice to listen to. Again, not crazy about it, but it's cool, I guess.

But other than that? Weird indie music is why I listen to radio stations (when I'm driving) like 99.9, or 98.1...stations that, for the most part, play 'popular' music. It's not that I avoid other music BECAUSE it is unpopular/new, it's just that for the most part, 'new' music is pretty crappy. There are some bands who have attained critical success, such as Arcade Fire, for example, who are pretty new...and that's awesome! It's great to see new faces succeed. That doesn't mean, however, that I have to like their music. In fact, I think their music is pretty crappy...though, again, it's nice that they're successful (way more successful than I'll be =P).

I perhaps am looking at things through nostalgia-tinted glasses, but then again, I just can't get over how music of decades past was so much better than the music of today. If you were to ask me my favourite musicians/bands, you'd get a list that would probably be more appropriate coming from someone ten years older than myself. Duran Duran (they're ALRIGHT, def not in the top of my list, but still pretty good), Huey Lewis and the News, Billy Joel, Madness, Frankie Valli, Queen, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, Guns N' Roses...now those were musicians. My goodness, if I took the music from those musicians alone (and I'm sure I left some out), I could listen to nothing else for the rest of my life. They were supremely talented, and their music is pretty much nothing short of legendary.

I've said this in a previous post, but, here are some of my favourites again:
Crazy Little Thing Called Love, by Queen (I'd put Bohemian Rhapsody, but man that song is long...I still love it, though)

I could go on, but, you get the point. I'm not opposed to ALL new things, though. This song, 'Change' by Daniel Merriweather, is pretty good. It's still two years old, but, meh, that's still 'new', as far as I'm concerned. If only music was as good now as it was back then....sigh. Ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment