Friday, May 13, 2011

gone fishin'

Due to blogger going nuts and deleting the last thing I posted, here is the last thing I wrote again.

I have brought this up with some of you, but, still, this is one of the few things that I will watch and just laugh until I die. Yes, it's sports-related, but it's just so entertaining that I have to tell you guys about it. So, the TV station TNT, they have their own deal with the NBA, and they are basically one of several television stations that have their own unique deals with the NBA, that allows them to broadcast (and cover) games during the NBA season and during the playoffs (TNT, ABC, ESPN, they're all in on the broadcasting deals). I prefer TNT the most, though, because they have a studio crew of four guys who are perhaps the funniest people on television in terms of sports broadcasting that I have seen in a long time. Chris Webber, Ernie Johnson (the host of TNT Overtime, which is the name of the show they're all on), Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith, they are absolutely hilarious (and they also know a lot about basketball, with Webber, Barkley and Smith having been players in the NBA themselves for many years). They have a segment called 'gone fishin'', that only airs during the playoffs, because it revolves around teams that get beaten in the postseason. It's pretty simple: when a team loses in the playoffs, the four of them get together in the studio and they start up the noise of their 'fishing boat', and they basically have a photoshopped picture of players from the team that got ejected from the playoffs on fishing boats...because, now that they're not playing in the playoffs anymore, what else do they have to do besides go fishing?

It's honestly hilarious, and I know not everyone finds those things hilarious (and yes, it's a bit mean, not going to lie), but omg, I can just watch those videos over and over, hehe. Unfortunately, I cannot link you the videos (not that you guys would watch it anyway), as I can't copy the link from nba.com. I can only direct you to http://www.nba.com/video, and you'll have to click on the little menus on the side where it says 'TNT OT', and find the 'gone fishin'' videos for yourself. So far they've sent the Orlando Magic, Portland Trailblazers, Denver Nuggets, San Antonio Spurs, New Orleans Hornets, Philadelphia 76ers, Indiana Pacers, New York Knicks, and most notably, the Los Angeles Lakers....all out on their fishing trips. I have watched all the videos this year so many times, just because it's so funny...I hope you guys at least look for them, though truth be told, you probably have to follow basketball (which I don't think any of you do) in order to find some of their jokes funny, hehe. Ah well, just another thing to share =P

I also think I've decided what I want to do after university. For the longest time, I have been set on going to law school, because...well, it seemed like that was the natural thing to do, right? I was in political science, and I enjoy it, and my parents thought it was a respectable career choice, and THEY thought I would be a good lawyer (and they're talking about prosecutor/defense lawyer, not just another corporate lawyer, though I'd truthfully be good at that too, since that stuff actually somewhat interests me), so they pushed for it. I was driving my mom around the other week, and we got caught in traffic on the way home, so we just ended up talking for the hour and a half that we were on the road (not that I don't do that anyway, but it was just an ideal time to bring it up). Eventually, the subject got around to post-grad, and I brought up the fact that not only do I not really want to do it, but I'm not even sure my grades would be stellar enough to get into UofT's law school, which is where I'd prefer to go...and let's face it, you DO need a pretty high GPA to get into UofT graduate programs, and I def do not have a GPA that is 3.7-3.8 or higher. Something that has always interested me was writing (big surprise, eh?). I've been writing for a long time, and I've written short stories, poems, screenplays, most of which no one apart from me has ever seen (and I'm perfectly fine with that =P). I ALSO write a lot for this blog, and also for the various student publications, like the Strand and for the Varsity. I thought about it, and I think doing a Masters' in Journalism would be something that I would greatly enjoy, and funnily enough, the best Journalism program offered in Canada is actually offered right here at home in Toronto, over at Ryerson! That is literally a 10 minute walk from where I hang out right NOW, so I mean, it's not as if it's a huge commitment to go over there and do something that I love.

The dream job, for me, would be to work for a sports franchise, specifically either a football (american/canadian football) team, or a hockey team, as a General Manager of said franchise. The GM is responsible for many things: drafting new players, resigning current ones, trading some players for new ones, evaluating talent, and basically a lot of the behind-the-scenes work. It's a job rooted both in business and in a love for the sport, and I would absolutely love to be doing that one day in my life (preferably football, if only b/c I know way more about football and its various positions than any other sport, hockey included...though, hockey, I love it). That would probably require an MBA (Master of Business Administration), and I know that doing an MBA is definitely not as daunting as it may sound, so I might do that after my undergraduate degree sometime down the road. It's not essential to have right away, especially if I want to do a journalism degree, as many of my cousins and even my own father have gone back and done their MBA on their own time, years after they've graduated.

I enjoy having a plan, as you can tell (if you already didn't know that about me =P). Up until that talk with my mom (and my dad fully supports it, after talking with him about it later), I felt like I was just kind of ad-libbing my post-grad plans....and now I feel as if I actually HAVE a plan. It's super nice to have my parents be behind me on this: it turns out that they were only pushing for law because they thought *I* wanted to do it. I only wanted to do it because I thought *they* felt it was a good career choice....what a weird vicious circle. Anyway, that's solved. I already have the grades for the Journalism degree, so basically, if I keep my grades up/potentially better them (and keep writing, which I intend to do more this coming year in terms of The Strand and The Varsity...well, maybe moreso the Varsity than the Strand), then I'll get in no problem. wooooooo!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you found something that genuinely interests you :)

    But I would consider whether or not going to grad school is really the best option - or really necessary for journalism at all. When once upon a time I thought I wanted to be a journalist, I was doing research on j-school and a lot of people were saying it was totally unnecessary and not worth it. Like http://www.salon.com/it/career/1999/01/08career.html for instance. http://editorialiste.blogspot.com/2008/06/is-j-school-worth-it-answer-may.html has a lot of links to opinion pieces on j-school that you might want to consider.

    ReplyDelete