Tuesday, May 24, 2011

watching a lot of movies

I really have been watching a lot of movies lately. This is perhaps born of the fact that I do not have a job, but I already watch an obscene amount of movies, so I figured I would write a little about them. I've already written about seeing both Thor and most recently Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides (there's no '4' in the actual title, but whatever), but I've seen a bunch of other movies in between, so might as well talk about those!

Fast Five (2011), Wedding Crashers (2005), Sherlock Holmes (2009), Iron Man (2008), Back to the Future (1985) and No Strings Attached (2011) are all movies I have seen over the past week, in addition to On Stranger Tides (2011) and Thor (2011)...though, that last one I saw at midnight, May 6th. I saw Fast Five and OST in theatres, the others I all saw...uh....not in theatres. Yup.

Anyway, Fast Five. I was not the biggest fan of the Fast and the Furious series of movies, because really, as the series went on, the movies got progressively worse. It hit rock-bottom with Tokyo Drift, and number four (which I think was just called 'The Fast and Furious', or SOMEthing like that) kind of brought the series back to a level where things kind of resembled respectability. At it's core, the series has really only been about a few things: fast cars and hot girls. Add in a liberal sprinkling of destruction and things being blown up, and you have a series of movies that anyone looking for a fun time will give a try. Fast Five made the series a little more fun, as it was obvious that it didn't try to take itself too seriously. Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, even Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson...they all had ridiculous one-liners, tough images and intense races and fights. Even Tyrese Gibson and Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges had their moments. I enjoyed this movie, I will not lie, and I enjoyed it way more than I did PotC 4. They are, however, very different movies, so it's kind of unfair for me to compare them. Elsa Pataky, one of the new cops alongside The Rock himself, is also ungodly attractive...definitely the hottest chick in the movie, hands down. But, ah well. Also, yes, The Rock and Vin Diesel fight...and it's awesome. My only complaint was that neither the People's Elbow nor the Rockbottom was used...but I guess that would have been a little too MUCH fan service? Does a thing even exist, 'too much' fan service? At the end of the day, it was a fun movie, and I enjoyed it. Happy endings for all, and the after-the-credits scene leaves it open for a potential sequel/reboot/spin-off, even IF the storyline of Paul Walker and Jordana Brewster has a satisfactory ending. Ah well; fast cars, hot girls...what more can you ask for?

Wedding Crashers was released in 2005. That was six years ago, in case you can't really count that well....it has been rented (back when Rogers Video was still around my house) by my parents MANY times, and each time, it was returned before I could watch it. I just kind of resigned myself to never seeing it, and then finally, I just got the urge, got a hold of it, and sat down and watched the whole thing. I really like Owen Wilson, and Vince Vaughn is kind of meh, but whatever, I can deal with him. It was a hilarious concept, but honestly, as soon as Wilson's character said 'Aren't we being a little irresponsible?', I KNEW that movie was shifting right into rom com territory. Indeed it did, as Rachel McAdams graced the screen soon after, and Owen Wilson's character was done. It was still funny along the way, and I got to see Bradley Cooper be the bad guy, before he was famous like he is now! I think he has a LITTLE to go to become truly a mega-star, but I mean come on, he was in the A-Team, the Hangover (which is getting a sequel this summer...how does a movie like that even GET a sequel? Isn't the lesson learned here one that says 'we should never get this drunk ever again'? ah well.), Limitless, and a few others. As far as the movie itself goes, however, it was funny, and the side plot with all the craziness that kept happening to Vaughn was also entertaining. It was just a little TOO predictable, right down to the wedding scene...but, ah well, entertaining is what matters, right?

Okay, I totally ended the last two paragraphs with questions, and I get annoyed when that happens too much, so I shouldn't do that too much myself...right? Ugh, stop it. Okay. I had already seen Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man and Back to the Future several times, the latter two being in my favourite movies ever list, so I will refrain from talking about them too much. Suffice to say they are awesome, especially the latter two. Sherlock Holmes I re-watched because I had been reading the stories again, and so it's always fun to watch another imagining of it. Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law have undeniable chemistry, and I am excited to see them take on Professor Moriarty (one of my fav villains of all time, even though he's only really been in one story) come Xmas time of 2011. Back to the Future is one of the best movies ever, period, so if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

It's ironic that I spoke about BttF, because one of the things Christopher Lloyd says in that movie a lot is 'Great Scott!!' Honestly, when they said 'Great Scott!!' in No Strings Attached, I ACTUALLY thought that Christopher Lloyd was going to be the dad of Ashton Kutcher's character. Clearly not, but a weed smoking Kevin Kline is probably the next best thing. Also, what is wrong with me? I literally just STARTED watched a chick flick at 2am, and CRIED at the ending (well, not the ending, but the part where they get together/where Natalie Portman admits to Ashton Kutcher that she's completely in love with him, which is essentially the ending). No, that's not a spoiler, because it's a chick flick. You knew Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher were going to get together from the very beginning of the movie, so don't complain about that. It was a good movie, however, one that I would give maybe a 7 or 7.5 out of 10. It was recommended to me by two girls who thought it was awesome, and it WAS a chick flick, but it was a good movie nonetheless. What DID weird me out was at the end, where you see the director...Ivan Reitman?! The guy who directed Ghostbusters I and II as well as Kindergarten Cop? Wow. Ah well...his next project seems to be Ghostbusters III, so maybe that will be awesome.

There are still some big blockbusters left on the summer list, and of course I'm still going to be watching movies in between. Harry Potter, Cars 2, Green Lantern, Captain America, Transformers 3, Cowboys and Aliens, X-Men: First Class....all of those movies are coming out within the next two months, and I am going to be there to see them. wooo movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment