Tuesday, February 22, 2011

online gaming

As it's Reading Week, I've been playing a fair amount of video games, and honestly, I've been playing a lot online. I don't usually get the chance to do it during the school year, because let's face it, extracurriculars in addition to class usually have me leaving home super early and coming home super late, with no time for anything but doing work and sleeping (yes, I left out eating on purpose; sometimes that does not happen, unfortunately).

But, online gaming. I've been getting my fair share of gaming in, amongst two games: Madden NFL 10 and Halo: Reach. I'll save Reach for second/last, since I have more to say about it.

Madden 10, though. It's ridiculously fun. I've been getting pretty good, I suppose, as when you play, you kind of play every position. If you play a normal game, you play as the head coach, the QB, everyone; you get to choose the plays on offense AND on defense, when you throw the ball and catch it, you change to the receiver; if you're on defense, you change into the person who intercepts the ball so you have more control...the game really gives you control over everything, which is nice. I'm currently playing through 'Be A Superstar', meaning you create your own player and he gets drafted by a team in the NFL, and you basically control his career. My quarterback, one 'Jerek Dunes', was drafted by the Oakland Raiders, taken in the 4th round at the 100th overall pick. Right now he is in his 7th NFL season, and he has won 5 Super Bowl rings (against the Packers, Seahawks, Saints, Falcons and Vikings, having been in 6 Super Bowls in his career, having lost the first one against the Vikings...so the last SB he was in was a bit of a revenge game. That game was ridiculous, by the way; my QB, in his rookie season, threw the ball 25 times, completed 22 times, had 4 touchdowns and no interceptions, and still lost the Super Bowl thanks to the defense letting up a 30-yd TD pass with like 4 seconds left in the game, and ended up losing by 4 points. I vowed to never let something like that happen again...and it hasn't, so far =P). It's kind of fun living your fantasy through a virtual version of yourself (my guy is my height/weight), and he is breaking records left and right (he owns the records of most passing yards in a season as well as most passing touchdowns in a season). It hurts me whenever I play the Patriots, though...I'm tempted to throw the game sometimes, just so they can win, but in the end, I still win.

Anyway, that's Madden. Madden NFL 11 has been out for a while, and since the season is over, Madden NFL 12 will probably be coming out soon, but there's no way I'm paying almost $80 for what amounts to a roster update. No thank you, EA Sports, you can go gouge other saps for their money.

Halo: Reach is another story. I've been playing Halo since the very first iteration; Halo 2 was one of the first multiplayer games my friends and I really gorged ourselves on after classes in high school. When Halo 3 came out, I borrowed my friend's bike just so I could ride from school to the mall during lunch to buy a copy of the game to play when I got home later that day. Halo: ODST was a must-buy as well, and while I didn't care much for the story, it DID introduce Firefight, one of the more fun things to come into Halo in a while. Finally, Halo: Reach, telling the story of how humanity's military capital, the planet Reach, fell and was destroyed by the Covenant. The multiplayer in Reach is fantastic; I played the beta, and it was super fun, but they changed a lot of things for the actual game, and it's constantly being tweaked, which is nice.

Since it's Reading Week, like I said, it's been a time for me to catch up on online gaming, meaning, a LOT of matchmaking on Halo: Reach. I've been playing with my good friends both online and offline, and as a result, my kills have gone up substantially in the past few days. I've leveled up twice (now a Warrant Officer Grade 2, lol, still an awful rank), and have killed several hundred other people online. I think my best streak of games came a few hours ago; I went to go pick up my friend from the subway station, and when we got back, I had the following streak of kills/deaths: 25kills/10deaths on Team Slayer (Sword Base), 24kills/14deaths on Bro Slayer (Powerhouse), 20kills/6deaths on Bro Slayer (Countdown), 31kills/14deaths on Elite Slayer (Forge World), and then after an 11kills/16deaths on Team Slayer (Countdown) during which we lost because my friend put down his controller and nodded off (lol), we played Rumble Pit, and I won with 25kills/15deaths on Countdown. In the span of 6 games, I racked up 136 kills to 75 deaths, a 1.81 K/D ratio. For most of you, this probably means nothing, and is probably really bad, but still...I was proud of myself, especially the 31-kill game, considering the game went up to 50. Heck, in THAT game, the other team had 35 kills total...w00t!

I have to say, there is a certain appeal in killing nameless people online. It's a wonderful way to vent frustration, although to be fair, it's possible to become even MORE frustrated when you play online. I think that's why when you reach a certain point, you have to either quit, or play a different gametype, one where you don't have to interact a lot with humans. I think that's why Firefight is so successful; in gametypes like Team Slayer, your success largely depends on your the success of your teammates. I mean, yes, I had ONE game where I had 31 kills, but that's not going to happen for me every game (I wish it did, hehe). In Firefight, however, you can go the whole game without really interacting with your teammates, since its you (and three other people) vs. endless waves of Covenant soldiers (aka, humans vs. endless computer-controlled waves). It's a lot of fun, and Bungie, the creators of Halo, decided it would be a good idea (and it was) to have different TYPES of Firefight...there's Swordfight, Sniperfight, Rocketfight, Nadefight, etc etc etc., and they all make for very different experiences, though they're all fun (Sniperfight is MY favourite, in case you were wondering =P).

The Halo universe is quickly becoming one of the more popular ones out there. The books, the games, toys, even a much-maligned movie is in the works...everything is really coming together to make Halo an even more lucrative franchise than it already is. Halo: Reach is super fun, and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do. Granted, I know everyone who reads this blog (or at least I think I do), so I'm guessing only ONE person enjoys it as much as I do, hehe. Regardless, video games = fun, and guaranteed there will be more video game posts on this blog, eventually. For now, I guess you'll have to be content with Madden NFL 10 and Halo: Reach. w00t!

(Note: I've been listening to the remixed version of 'A Little Less Conversation' by Elvis Presley; it's actually kind of good! I love singing along to this sing. That is all =P)

No comments:

Post a Comment