Wednesday, February 9, 2011

pre-ripped jeans? what the hell?

So I had a discussion today about fashion with two female friends of mine. Honestly, I make fun of them a lot, but I made even more fun of them because of fashion. As I'm sure you know, our society (and I don't just mean the Western society, I guess I really am referring to human society as a whole) is incredibly shallow. Celebrities and models are the most popular people alive...hell, even one of the most popular blogs in the world, Perez Hilton's, is about celebrity gossip and all that crap. Why Perez Hilton is popular is honestly beyond me, but I actually am a little disappointed that people find his crap and that general crap (and yes, it is crap, despite your feelings towards it) is as insanely popular as it is. It's not that I'm jealous, I'm genuinely dumbfounded that anyone can find that stuff entertaining in the slightest.

We started off by talking about TV shows, such as Gossip Girl and reality TV. First off, Gossip Girl. How is that entertaining? I mean, it is literally a teen soap opera. Someone has sex with someone else, but the two people are in other relationships, so as revenge their significant others sleep with each other, and then everyone's sleeping with each other...oh yeah, and everyone is rich, so they can buy and do whatever they want, they're all super attractive but omg person A is actually related to person B, so lol they committed incest and the joke's on them. What. The. Hell. How is that entertaining? I think the only part of that I found remotely entertaining was the fact that Blake Lively (and the rest of the women) are ridiculously attractive, and even then, I'm content to look at pictures in magazines like Entertainment Weekly if I was that into them.

Reality TV gets even less of a pass from me, if only because they pretend to be 'real', even though the world knows its scripted. I mean, 'The Bachelor'? How does that get any ratings at all? It's literally a show about one super attractive/smart/nice/talented guy who tries to get married to one super attractive woman, and they're all either crazy or dumb. That is the premise of the show, season in, and season out. I can kind of see why people watch it, if only because it's such an escape from their own lives, I suppose. No one in 'real' life is going to be that lucky as to have a million different super hot women vying for his attention, so I guess people watch it because they can wish that they can relate? Even if my quasi-psychoanalysis is true, it's still goddamned stupid.

But, after that, we got into talking about fashion. Now, I'll be the first to admit, my mom still buys me a majority of my clothes as gifts for Christmas or my birthday...because, honestly, I don't really care that much. She has good taste, and my dad gives his input, so as a result, I have a pretty varied wardrobe. But still, I don't really care either way. When I hear that magazine editors are the ones deciding what is 'in' and what is 'out', I just get annoyed. Much like Heather and Oprah in Chapters, telling me what books I should buy (for the record, those 'picks' can go right to hell. I will read what I want, thank you very much.), I do not appreciate faceless people telling me that my clothes aren't cool enough to wear in public. Those people can also go right to hell for all I care.

It was then we got to pre-ripped jeans. The two of them thought they were cool and worth the money you pay for them. I was supremely offended by this. First of all, why on Earth would you pay MORE money for clothes that are, essentially, damaged? You're intentionally paying for something that is broken! You wouldn't buy a damaged fridge, or a gaming device, or a damaged couch or table, would you? No, of course not. Why would it be any different for clothes? They are meant to be practical and keeping you warm, though people who buy pre-ripped jeans are obviously only buying them because they LOOK nice. Now, this isn't a rip (lol) on people who buy things because they look nice, because EVERYONE does that for a variety of items. I just can't understand why someone would pay more instead of doing that to a pair of jeans themselves, which in itself is still dumb, but god, if you HAVE to do it, then at least don't pay for it.

I just feel as if our society is messed up, if we're at the point where pre-ripped jeans cost more than normal jeans. Yes, that is an exaggeration, but I hope you get my point. I mean, people go out and buy extravagant things, things that cost hundreds of dollars, when they can use that same amount of money to buy food or pay for transit, or any number of those things. I'm not suggesting that everyone give up luxuries and donate the difference to charities and third world counties, because as nice as that would be, it's also unrealistic. Is it, however, unrealistic to ask that people just spend a little less frivolously? It's just ridiculous to see people spending $140 on a pair of boots because they're 'in', or $100 on a pair of jeans that you get with holes in them already, or buying whatever the latest celebrity has tweeted or posted somewhere about.

Anyway, that's it for my little (large?) rant. I missed posting the past few days, because of class, meetings and on Sunday, the Super Bowl. I hope I made a point, somewhere there, but...yeah, it just bothers me. woo for blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment