Thursday, February 24, 2011

a whole new world

No, this is not about the Disney song, as much as I may like that particular song (from Aladdin, in case you didn't know). I was talking with my friend today about the Canadian Armed Forces, and how I had previously given thought to joining up with them after university. Honestly, it's not such a bad thing, especially if you have an undergraduate degree; you can join up, go straight into the officer corps and do stuff like Press Corps Officer, or other more media-related facets of the army. Still, though, you'd be called into battle when (if) necessary, and you'd be put through the same training that everyone else goes through. I've given it some serious thought, and I actually think this is a viable option for me to do in my life at some point....although, maybe as a backup, as there are other career options for me to explore (like being a lawyer, a teacher, etc) before that becomes something at the forefront of my mind.

That, though, is what this post is about: the life after post-secondary education, aka, the real world. It's a daunting prospect for people my age, I suppose, going out and finding a job that could potentially be your career (because they are two different things), and living on your own, and what not. I'm definitely not living at home for the rest of my life, and honestly, as soon as I get the chance, I'm moving to downtown Toronto, so I don't have to spend hours on the TTC every day. I've had jobs before, and honestly, they're awesome. It's not really the job part that frightens me, nor can I really say that life after university actually frightens me, its just a bit surprising that it's so close. I think what does scare me a little is not knowing what I want to pursue. Like I said above, do I want to do the Canadian Armed Forces? Do I want to be a teacher? A lawyer? Work for the government in some way? I actually have no idea. I feel as if my decision goes back and forth by the day, depending on my mood. If I'm doing particularly well in my courses for Political Science, maybe the lawyer option seems a bit less daunting; otherwise, no. I dunno, it's a bit silly, but I feel as if everyone expects you to just KNOW what you want to do at this point in your life, which is a bit stressful. I mean, damn, I already have enough stress with the crap I do on a daily basis, it's not as if I need any more.

Still, though. The three most likely careers for me are as follows: law, education or government. Those three always did interest me beyond so much else, and I can actually see myself doing those jobs. Law requires a crazy high GPA to get into, especially at UofT, and so I dunno if I can even get in after 5 years, even if my marks were at 90+ for the rest of my university career. Teaching and government are possible; I always wanted to apply for CSIS and be an analyst of some sort and help protect the country and what-not. That seems like it would be fun and interesting, in terms of career choices. Teaching is somewhat of a different spot, especially in my family. A lot of my aunts are teachers, my own mother is a teacher (having done everything from kindergarten to grade 8), and everyone tells me I would be a good teacher...which, I suppose, is a compliment. Still, though, I don't know if that would be the best career choice for me, because I would definitely have to be a high school teacher, as I don't have the patience for little children on a daily basis, despite the fact that kids are awesome.

Another job that I always thought would be cool would actually be working for Victoria College. The current Campus Life Coordinator and Residence Life Coordinator, they all went to UofT for school, with the RLC having been a don at Vic himself! The CLC went to UC, so I guess she's not AS cool, but still, they're both awesome =P Regardless, they honestly have the best jobs in the world; they get to work with the students on a regular basis, are friendly and inviting, their doors are always open, they work with the Dean of Students, etc etc etc. As someone involved a lot with student life as well as orientation week and an aspiring don, I feel as if that's almost a tailor-made job for someone like me. I don't really know how one applies or even gets a job like that, because the contracts (from talking to the CLC) seem to be fairly capricious, so who knows. Still, an awesome job.

But, even after all that wondering, that brings me back to the fact that I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Law, education, government, working for the university or for a more specific branch of the government in CSIS....who knows what I want to do? They're all awesome job opportunities, and I mean, I'd be happy in any of them. I just feel as if the clock is ticking, as if there's an unseen hand pushing me towards a decision...a decision I'm incredibly unprepared to make. Maybe I'll just do grad school and postpone that decision, but...maybe even THAT is a poor decision.

Honestly, I don't know. I guess while the clock is ticking, I do still have SOME time...I'm currently in my 3rd year out of 5, so two more years on the clock. Who knows what'll happen in that time?

2 comments:

  1. You *would* make a good teacher, but I agree with doing the high school thing. I can't stand little kids for long periods of time.

    I agree with you though. I don't know what I want to do with my life, and it annoys me that we have to choose so young. But working at Vic would be awesome. I could totally rule that job.

    ReplyDelete