Wednesday, March 30, 2011

the beating of a million drums

I have to say, the band Justice is pretty good. I got their album in 2007, whose title is simply a cross (I dunno how to do the symbol on a computer, lol), and got a bunch of their live music as well. As a result, when I heard their new single 'Civilization' (found here), I was pretty impressed. It's also the focus of a new campaign by Adidas, and the commercial is also pretty darn awesome....though, I'm biased, because I think it's awesome BECAUSE of the song, not because of any Adidas products (sweet though they are). I am not a huge fan of a lot of modern artists, although I will definitely say that Justice is one of my favourite modern artists, along with perhaps Daft Punk and a few others. There's also a new rapper called 'Tyler the Creator', and his videos are pretty explicit/creepy (see: Yonkers video, which I will not link here because it's weird in terms of visuals), although he has a pretty awesome flow, as far as rappers go.

I have no real place where I'm going with this post, as far as my posts have gone in the past. Most of them have a direction of some sort, and I'd be lying if I said this post had one. I was just listening to Justice when I started writing, and all of a sudden, I was done writing about them and now I'm here. Well, that sucks.

I guess I DO have stuff to talk about, though. To reference several recent posts, I was talking about the elections and me winning/losing them, and what I would do if I lost. Well, considering I WON the elections (woooooo), I guess all those plans can go out the window. I'm still trying out for the men's football team, but if I don't make it, I won't be crushed...it's a huge longshot nonetheless, but I'm going to still tryout. But, to go back to the elections...WOOOO I WONNNN!!! I apparently only won by 10~ votes, but hell if I care. I was elected by the student body of my college to the position of Vice President External, and no one can take that away from me. Honestly, after I found out I had won, I felt amazing. I think this is what Mario feels like when he touches one of those invincibility stars; like you can run into and through anything, that you are, for all intents and purposes, immortal...for a short while. That particular feeling has definitely worn off, now that I actually have to buckle down and do my essay that's due on Thursday (and it's on Margaret Atwood and Margaret Laurence no less....god they're so boring, I don't understand why people find this interesting), but still...I can't believe I won.

I guess this year ended up being pretty good, after all. I made a ton of new friends who I hang out with on a regular basis, I helped plan some pretty awesome events, and I got Orientation Exec 2011 AND VPE? Pretty successful, I guess =P

You know what's kind of funny about all that? This seems to be a pattern in my life; achieve a lot in the extra-curricular arena and achieve average to slightly above-average grades in the academic arena...but not achieve anything in the personal (i.e. romantic) arena. I don't really know what it is, because it's not for lack of trying. I *thought* I was someone who was reasonably nice to others, and that's essentially what my parents taught me to be to not just girls, but to EVERYone: courteous, polite, etc etc. I mean, yeah, I make fun of my friends a lot, and I sometimes push what's okay and what's not, but I think my friends know that I love them and that I would never intentionally say something to hurt their feelings. All the friends I have, from the ones I made back in first year, to the ones I made via VUSAC in 2nd year, to the ones I made now in 3rd year (who I hang out with all the time, and who I talk to about absolutely everything as well), I obviously treasure them more than a lot of things. Having said ALLLLL that, I still somehow am horribly unsuccessful with women. I guess I'm now just super boring, haha. I obviously...well, you know what, never mind.

[edited for content lolol]

I guess it's time for me to go to bed. I was going to play some video games, but honestly, no time/inclination anymore. I guess that Weekly Challenge will have to wait for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment