Saturday, March 26, 2011

gray = distinguished? ionno

In a direct continuation of the last blog post, I guess it's not such a bad thing if I lose. I'll have more time for my studies, which, to be honest, could use some work. It's not that I'm an idiot or anything, it's just that I have some pretty poor study habits, and I know I'm smarter than the grades I have right now. Anyway, that's one option.

The second option is getting way more into sports. I don't mean in terms of things I follow, or in terms of the VCAA (a levy that deals with sports, at my college). I mean actually being an athlete, someone who is ON a team, who participates in the team winning (or losing), and I'd do it for either the varsity men's football team, or the varsity men's basketball team. I probably stand more chance of making the football team, if only because I know football so much better than basketball. I understand them equally well in terms of plays and rules, I am just better at conjuring a football play on the go than I am in terms of doing the same for a basketball play. Still, though, the only person who WOULD conjure a football play on the go would be the quarterback, and as much as I would love to be the QB for my university's football team, the fact of the matter is that I am about 5-6inches too short and about 75-100 lbs too light to be a quarterback. To put it in perspective, the shortest quarterback in the NFL is Drew Brees; the man stands at 6feet exactly, a good 3 or 4 inches taller than me, and weighs (according to Wikipedia, at least) 209 lbs, a good 79 lbs heavier than me. I'm not heartbroken, though, it was never a realistic goal anyway. I can, however, play the positions of either wide receiver or cornerback: Wes Welker, one of my favourite players and a New England Patriot to boot, is a wide receiver...and I try to model myself after him, since he's awesome. He stands at 5"9, my exact height, and weighs 185 lbs, 50 lbs heavier than I. 50 lbs is still a huge difference, but not as daunting as 80 is.

A good cornerback...hmm. Let's look at Darelle Revis, Asante Samuel, and Devin McCourty, three of the top cornerbacks in the league. Revis: 5"11, 198 lbs. Samuel: 5"10, 185 lbs. McCourty: 5"10, 193 lbs. They're all around my height (maybe an inch or so taller), and are all around the same weight as Welker. My point, really, is that the physical aspect of the game is not so far out of my reach that it is unattainable. I have most (if not all) of the technical skills; I know how to run a route, I know how to force receivers (who may or may not be taller than I am) to either side of the field, I know how to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage, I know how to read a play...I mean, a lot of these things are basic knowledge for ANY football player, but still, I have a lot of the knowledge already.

That's still a dream that is super far away, though. If I didn't make the Varsity team, I guess I would just do intramurals again. I mean, I'm DEFINITELY not doing VCDS again, not doing VUSAC (if I lose)...I guess I would apply for Cat's Eye Subcommittee, and that's about it. Maybe the English Students Union? Whooooo knows.

But, enough about that. I saw a trailer the other day...and it reminded me, this summer is really going to be the summer of the comic book. X-Men: First Class? Green Lantern? Thor? Captain America? Yes, please. In fact, to go to the Captain America trailer (which can be found here), it looks freaking amazing. My friends do not share the same belief that I do, which is that it's going to be one of the best movies of the summer, but...well, I look forward to them being proven wrong. I mean, other than the fact that it looks awesome, the summer isn't exactly laden with amazing blockbusters on the schedule. Apart from the comic book movies that I listed already, here are some other ones that have the potential to do well in terms of destroying the box office:

Kung Fu Panda 2
Cars 2
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Super 8
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt II
Cowboys and Aliens

As much as I dislike the HP series of movies, the last one WAS pretty epic, and my god, if the last HP movie doesn't absolutely incinerate every box office record known to man, I will be surprised. Not really disappointed, because Harry Potter doesn't deserve to be the highest grossing movie of all time (neither does Avatar, but whatever)/biggest opening release of all time, but ah well. I'm probably going to contribute to the legions of fans who are going to see this movie on opening night just to say I did, but still...it's going to be a LOT of money made for everyone involved.

To go back to Captain America for a second, I really enjoy the interconnectedness of the whole Marvel universe. Tony Stark, portrayed by Robert Downey Jr., was in The Incredible Hulk at the very end, Captain America's shield was in Iron Man 2, Howard Stark (Tony's dad) is going to be in Captain America (you can hear Stanley Tucci's character say 'Now, Mr. Stark', when they throw the switch to turn scrawny Steve Rogers into muscular Captain America), Thor's hammer was at the after-credits scene in Iron Man 2, Nick Fury (portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson) was in both of the Iron Man movies, and the Avengers movie was not only hinted at in the first one, but outright spoken about in the second one....my goodness. I cannot wait for this summer. I'm going to go to so many opening night releases, it's going to be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment