Thursday, March 24, 2011

i actually have gray hairs.

That's not a good thing, jeez. I'm 21 years old! I was shaving the other day, and I saw some gray hairs in my beard and in my sideburns. My goodness...I think that's a sign of all the stress of the year finally getting to me. For years I had a single gray hair on my head, but that was just something random that I had from birth. Now, though, I'm dealing with the stress of raising my grades, of getting a job, and of winning these VUSAC elections.

The elections are probably the most stressful. It's annoying, because, I'm running against two other people, for a total of three people running for the Vice President External position. That, however, is not what annoys me: what ANNOYS me is the fact that those other two people don't really care about the VPE job, nor VUSAC as a whole! My opponents are a guy and a girl: the guy is a terrible choice, as he simply wants to disassociate The Strand (my college's newspaper) from the council, because he writes for them, and he just wants to get his way. The girl, though...I dunno if she's worse or what. She applied for donship, and just ran here as a backup; she doesn't really CARE about the job, she just wants to be 'involved' in the community next year. I mean, goddamn, her only experience at the job is as a building council president, and the only reason she did THAT is because NO ONE RAN AGAINST HER. But, yes, she didn't get donship (which is unfortunate, she would have indeed been a great don), and now as a result, she's still running against me. I am, without a word of exaggeration, more qualified to be on the council than the two of them put together, multiplied by ten. He's been a writer for the Strand and has sat on the drama society; she has been a building council president for one year. I have been on VUSAC for TWO years, been an Orientation Executive, have also sat on the drama society, have also written for both the Strand AND the Varsity, been on the commuter organization for THREE years...good god. The stress is really getting to me. What's unfortunate is that this whole thing boils down to a popularity contest, and I'm fairly certain that despite all those things, since they're BOTH running against me, one of them could take enough votes away from me to have the other one win. It irks me so much...I'm definitely finished with VUSAC if I lose.

What bothers me almost just as much is the fact that all my friends are going to be doing stuff next year, even if I lose. Two of my friends are going to be commuter dons; four more are going to run for VUSAC MAL positions. I'm not running for a MAL position again; it's so stupid, you get treated like an idiot by the commissioners who feel entitled to feel all high and mighty, despite your experience, and in my specific case, I'd have to ONCE AGAIN work with people who beat me. Fuck that.

The sad thing is, I don't know what I WOULD do if VUSAC didn't work out. I have Orientation Exec until the end of the summer, but once the next school year starts, then I have no idea. Maybe I'll try and get involved with sports more? That seems like it'd be fun, I guess...I dunno, I mean, I haven't lost the election yet, but you DO have to make plans for the future, regardless of the present. I guess we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. You have a GREAT shot at winning. I will be seriously surprised if one of them takes it over you, I really, really, really don't think that's going to happen!

    Also, I don't think that I'll be running for MAL...? I'm not sure if you included me in that four, but I'm /definitely/ not running for MAL if you don't get VPE. (Because if you don't get it, I think Jake will get it, and I have no intention of working with him, I can't stand him.) Also, I feel like I should really give other students the opportunity to be on VUSAC.

    I'm really not sure what I'm going to be doing next year, since VUSAC is almost out of the picture. Such decisions, but I basically have to be focusing on schoolwork these days... speaking of which, I have to get back to that.

    Anyway, stop fretting! :)

    ReplyDelete